Steeped in history, La Môle was cited for the first time in 1008, in a compendium stating that the viscounts of Marseille at the Abbey of Saint-Victor ceded the local territory as a co-lordship between the Count and Guillaume de Néoules, from the Signes family, as well as part of Marseille and the Verne Charterhouse.
There is also mention of a castrum, more specifically that of Saint-Magdeleine, in 1252. Carried out in 1989, excavations of the Sainte-Magdeleine Chapel have shown that a Medieval castrum was present on the site, comprising a fortified construction built on the summit of the Sainte-Madeleine hill and an open urban area starting from the Verne Charterhouse in Cogolin.
The village was abandoned in the mid-18th century following a fire that devastated the local massif.
However, the valley was developed over time, most notably following the opening of the royal route from Toulon, now the RD98.
Next to the main departmental road 48, La Môle Château was built in the 16th century by Jacques de Boniface, the Lord of La Môle.
Many lords, knights and aristocrats took successive ownership of the property, but one person in particular had a huge influence on its history: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
As a child, the writer often stayed at the château with his mother Marie de Saint-Exupéry (her maiden name was Boyer de Fonscolombe). Up to the age of 9, Antoine spent his winters at the château, which was owned by his grandmother. It was a place that he admired and whose history sparked his imagination. Perhaps the moon rising over the hills of La Môle inspired him like the sunsets cherished so dearly by le Petit Prince?